Friday, April 23, 2021

Blog #8: Presentations

 

EOTO PRESENTATIONS

Our class presented EOTO’s today (reference Blog #6 for what this is). There were four groups that each presented different types of technology and the history behind them. These EOTO’s taught me lots of new information on technologies and how they have advanced through society. The technology that stood out to me was the radio.

Radio

I think the radio is the most interesting piece of technology that we learned about in class today, this is because there’s a lot of information on the radio that I didn’t know about. When I think about radio, I immediately think of my car and playing music, this is the entertainment purposes of the radio. 
Originally the radio was used for communications. The first radio system was made for military use. The navy was most commonly equipped with this tool in all of the ships so that all the ships can easily communicate with each other. 



The radio has positives such as that information sharing has been made easier and ideas can be spread easily. The radio also offers many entertainment purposes such as music or talk shows. The navy still uses radio for communication in ships as well. The negatives of radio are minimal such as the political stations can project radicalized views of politics increasing the divide in the government.

I know first responders also have radios for communications along with the military, but personally, I don’t use the radio for communications. I only use the radio for entertainment purposes; however, these radio stations are still communicating information to me. I also know radio for entertainment is not the main go-to anymore either. This technology is now being replaced by Bluetooth or AUX cords in vehicles, the connection is just clearer since it is a direct connection rather than a local broadcast. Sometimes I still listen to the radio for a nostalgic feeling of my childhood and only having the radio for long car rides and it is sometimes nice to not choose what song I want next.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: Me Online

Relationships with Technology My relationship with technology is fairly poor and unhealthy, usually there are times when I struggle to remov...